Friday, May 25, 2012

rat whisperer

Day 3: im a rat whisperer.

Today was rat day. I came into this extremely timid.. OH WAIT i forgot to say that I got lost for 2 hours on my way to the lab this morning. I got off the train WAAYYY to early and so i started walking to the medical faculty.  i thought id find it perfectly fine, until i couldnt. i literally walked around bratislava until 9:30. I left my dorm at 7:30..not like this..oh no..not like this. I asked a million people where the medical faculty was (they call each of their types of "colleges" faculties) and honest to god everyone pointed me in opposite directions. and when i said "hi, do you speak english" pretty much everyone gave me a disgusted face and said no and ran away. thank you slovak friends. but yeah one lady finally helped me about an hour 45 into my search and i was only an hour and a half late to work. good timez.

but anyways, today i had to mark my friends. excuse me i mean my rats.
PICTURE THIS: ratitouille. jumping out of a giant window that we are working next to. me, jumping after him. grabbing his tail so he doesn't make it out the window. he is literally hanging out the window by my hands. we need him. he makes good dishes. he is also essential to my experiemnt. but yeah thtat is what happened today. i essentially dove after one of my rats out a window. it was unbelievable.
but anyways. so today when i got to work i had to label my rats 1 to 50. and you probalby are thinking, "kat, how in the hell are you talking about these rats like its no big deal" because, i will tell you why,
PICTURE THIS: sweeney todd singing the song  "my friends"

These are my friends,
(im your friend too mr. todd)
See how they glisten.
See this one shine,
How he smiles in the light,
My friends,
My faithful friends...

Speak to me, friend.
Whisper, I'll listen.......

These rats are my only friends now.. they don't try and bite me like the mice do. So if you picture me singing "these are my friends" you can picture the rats saying "im your friend tooo kathryn" you probably only understood this if you've ever seen sweeney todd. if not you should watch the video of this song..it'll help you understand how i feel at work working with my friends..


it took me like 2 hours to label and weigh them all and then i moved on to tagged 75 mice. aka we were giving them some bling. aka we were putting things in their ears with numbers so we knew which was which. this basically consumed my day.

also, the reason why i choose to tell you about my mice and my rats its because i spend the most time with them in my day. rats are truly nicer than mice. omg. what am i becoming. i hate rats. who am i. im a new woman. the rat whisperer. watch, im going to start sharing my problems with them. and imagining that they respond to me!


but today i made my first venture to the store to buy a towel. thank god because im starting to smell. i also bought my first pepsi. soooo yeah you can stop being impresed that i haven't bought a pop yet. HOWEVER, i have yet to drink coffee. thats a big deal too.

we're going out tonight so that should be interesting.

DEUCES!

dovi!

No comments:

Post a Comment